Friday 7 September 2012

Coco Pops, mixed spice & a maid's uniform!

One of the concerns Squeeze had when we were contemplating the move to South Africa was FOOD! What would we be able to find in the shops - her main concerns were Coco Pops and Nutella….essential nutritional items for any 12 year old!

Well let me assure you that Joburg supermarkets are exceptionally well stocked, with both local and international goodies. The main chains are Checkers and Pick & Pay ( a bit like Tesco, Sainsbury's), Spar (much more upmarket than UK Spar) and then there is Woolworths. Woolies is not like the UK Woolies (RIP!) but more like Marks & Spencer - in fact we dug a little and M&S part own Woolies so it really is similar! 


The local Spar (at Broadacres) is exceptional - they will even import products if you ask nicely! Lance is after Hellmans full fat Mayo! Everything is here - and more! It is Internatioanl Day next Friday at AISJ & I have offered to make Welsh Cakes - quite delicious little drop scones with mixed fruit. A key ingredient is mixed spice & I had a momentary panic that I would have to get it sent over from the UK & with the SA postal system not quite up to speed etc etc….. but silly old me, there it was nestled happily along with the other 372 herbs & spices you can buy here! 


 So worry not - if you are coming here to live, or just visiting, there is everything you need and a few added extras - like Monkey Gland Sauce or an outfit for your maid (you will find those between the turps & the pet food!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annabelle,

    Brigitte sent me the link to your blog. Good to read you ! I wish I had had the possibility to write about my African experience when were in Gabon, but we never managed to get internet at home during the 3 years we stayed there ;-(( As I use to say till now, our best memories from Gabon were our vacations in South Africa, so...you see. I hope that Gilles & the kids are OK. Bisous à vous 4. Valérie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Valerie et bonjour!
    Yes we are very excited about this adventure of ours - we are 5 weeks in now and it really is flying by….. all really settled and making the most of it. Thank goodness for the internet - although I would get a lot more done if it wasn't working! xxx

    ReplyDelete